Monday, October 23, 2017

Ghostly Pumpkin

Simply Crafty SVGs is having an October challenge. Use one of their files, enter it, and possibly win something! So I got to looking at their files and I fell in love with their Ghostly Pumpkin file.
I made a few modifications to my file and I will share them with you here! First, I knew that I was going to use a tealight fake candle on the inside. 

I added a circle to accommodate the tealight to the middle of the base. ***Sugar tip*** I forgot (amateurish mistake) to add it to the base cover as well which was no big deal that's what xactos are for, but be a better crafter than me and add it to the base cover plate as well! 
Next I knew that I wanted my pumpkin to adhere to the base to cut down on any light peaking through the bottom. Personal preference. So I added some tabs to the bottom of the base pumpkin sides.
To accomplish this, simply make a rectangle on the bottom, weld, and add a folding line to each added piece.
Next I knew that I was going to use vellum for the windows and doors. So I made templates for those window coverings by simple using the offset tool at 0.200 after extracting the windows from the pumpkin panel (make a copy of the pumpkin panels, highlight, right click, select release compound path. Keep the windows/door and discard the rest)
 You can see below that the vellum will cover the door/windows just right
After cutting out my files, I highlighted or made them more rustic with ink and a paint brush.
Normally I would use my eBrush, but sadly it is still out of commission so I went back to the old style.
The best part about doing a haunted anything for Halloween and dry brushing ink, it can be super sloppy and still looks like you meant it to be that way!

 I used some Tim Holtz brown distress ink for the pumpkin panels.

 Then I grabbed my Sizzix Bigshot and a 'We R Memories' embossing folder to add texture to the panels.
 I also inked and embossed the decorative base panels

 Then I got to assembling!
 Final Product:
 The rustic look of the ink helps "age" things along
 I added some leaves and curly cues to the top
 I decided to cut the ghosts out in vellum as well instead of white cardstock
One thing I loved about this file is that every side has some sort of detail. The details is not all exclusive to the front.




 Turn the lights off...


Materials Used: 

Simply Crafty SVGs 'Ghostly Pumpkin' file
Coordinations and Bazzil papers
Sizzix Bigshot
Darice embossing folder (base decorative panels)
We R Memories embossing folder (pumpkin panels)
Silhouette Cameo 3
Silhouette Studio~Designers Edition
Tim Holtz Brown Ink
Aleene's Original Tacky Glue

Friday, October 20, 2017

Birthday Bowling Invitations

Phew am I one happy crafter that we limited the amount of kiddos my son could invite to his birthday party!

He's been asking for a few months to have his party at the bowling alley. Which if I am being honest is a step up from chaotic Chuck E Cheese! Unfortunately being a November baby, there's limited options for fun around here for a birthday so here we are doing bowling again!

However, I decided to have some fun with his invites. I wanted to do a slider card that looked like a bowling lane. So I got to work...

To start with, I grabbed a simple bowling file from Silhouette's Design Store
Then I created the card base from a 10 x 7 rectangle. Added in a few slices here and there with some places to fold and create the pull tab.
Then I was able to assemble and boy am I glad what I had in my head actually worked the first time!
When the pull tab is pulled, it brings the pins up to the back of the lane to reveal the inside. 
 I decided to emboss the lane enclosure for a little bit of extra texture with my Sizzix Bigshot and Darice swirly embossing folder.
For the inside information, I used the print and cut feature on my Cameo 3. 
He happily took the invites to school today to hand them out!

Monday, October 2, 2017

It's a Haunted Affair

Hello all. I am here with my version of the latest haunted house from SDS Haunted House file from SVG Attic.
SDS Haunted House 2017

The great thing about this file is it can be so versatile and each designer can really make it their own with a bit of modification on detail. 

One of the ways I was able to modify the house was by embossing brick on the sides, using my Sizzix Bigshot and Darice folder. 
 Then I decided to dry brush ink to age the house.
The difference from dry brushed to not is noticeable when placed next to each other!
 A simple paint brush and ink is all it takes.
The next modification I did was making roof tiles, which I aged with some white ink and a paint brush.
 I curled the ends of each tile with the end of the paintbrush. I wanted it to look old so some are curled under and some are over!
 I also dry brushed the decking on the front porch and both Juliet balconies.
The final modification I did was use vellum for all the windows/front door so that when I placed a light on this inside, it would illuminate the windows/door.
Finalized project:




 Turn the lights out:



Turn the flash off:





Materials Used: 

SVG Attic SDS Haunted House
Coredinations 12 x 12 cardstock
Silhouette Cameo 3
Silhouette Studios~Designer Edition
Aleene's Original Tacky Glue
Sizzix BigShot
Darice embossing folder